Successful Dairy Farming
Cow Dairy Farming is now a profitable business. Most of the youth in the country is after the Dairy Farming. This is mainly because of the Profit Margins in Successful Dairy Farming in India. One has to say that the profits in the Cow Dairy are exciting a number of people. Apart from that, the opportunities for this business are also great in the recent times. Not only that, Government at both state and a central level is helping with loans and subsidies for the dairy farmers. Hence many are showing a great level of interest to start successful dairy farming business.
1. Make a Business Plan
It is the most important thing to do before starting a dairy farm. Creating a detailed business plan is the key to the successful business of dairy farming. How many animals you are going to keep in your farm? Which market you are going to capture to sell milk? How many employees you need to hire? What is your budget for this business and how much profit you need to earn from this business? Clearing all these doubts and making business plan according will help you to understand the total expenses and investment you need to do for the business.
2. Take advice of professionals
It is advisable to consult and take advice from the experienced people in this field. They can give your idea about the business plans and help to set up the initial structure of your business. Try to visit the other dairy farms to see how they are managing the business. While giving this type of field trip watch the plus and the minus points of every particular farm. While building your business, this experience will prove helpful for you. While visiting others try to achieve more and more knowledge from these experienced people about animal doctors, nutritionists, investors, bankers etc.
3. Think About Initial Investment
successful Dairy farming is the business with big investment. The basic requirements are the land, the buildings, the cows and some other equipment. If you are in rural area or in as agricultural family then no need to worry about cow shed or feed. In the initial stage many farmers prefer to purchase cows by investing money and they select the option of renting farms and the land required. As the business grows and settles, you can purchase your own land for farming. Bank loans are available for farmers to start their agriculture-based industry.
4. Animal feed
When you are planning for dairy farm, you need to graze your cattle with nutritious feed. This is very important for healthy production of milk and even for the healthy growth of calf. Take an advice of animal nutritionist about the feed to be given for lactating cows and even for dry cows. In many farms it is seen that they produce their own animal feed. Producing own farms and harvesting crops to feed animals or cattle graze can save a very good amount of your investment. But as it needs sufficient place and time, you can hire operators who can help you for planting and harvesting crops. If you have your own land then double cropping technique can be beneficial for dairy farming business.
5. Waste Management Program
Cattle in the daily farm produce a very big amount of manure. Thought this manure is generally considered as waste, it can be utilized in farms as natural fertilizer. Those who are harvesting plants in their own places can take advantage of this manure in fields. Using more manure will help you to produce more crops which can be sold to make more money. The other important uses of cattle manure are the preparation of organic manure by dumping cow dung, earth worms and dead plant materials. This organic manure can be used by the farmer or you can pack and sell. Bio-gas produced from this waste product is used as a cooking fire.
6. Selection of Good Quality of Breed
While dairy farming one of important point is selection of animals which having good breed character. This perspective mainly for those farmers who want to do commercial dairy farming. The animals which shows true breed characters are to be selected. The main production points like milking and reproductive ability has most concern in this criterion. eg- Crossbred of Holstein Friesian has more feed intake ability as well as give good milking than other breeds but it requires high quality balanced feed & fodder and if rearer has not capacity to cadre the need then ultimately he is in loss due to low production as well as imbalanced feeding causes deficiency diseases which requires longer time to recovers.
While selection of animal parental history is required but in field in regional market you will not get that kind of records so most dependency is on physical characters of animals as well as direct milking of animals gives your ideas about animals. Also, it is good if you take help of Veterinarian while selection of animals. Do the necessary testing of animals like California Mastitis test for mastitis, Plate agglutination test for Brucellosis. If it is not possible to provide high quality fodders throughout the year to animals then it’s better to select animals which have capacity to survive in critical conditions. According to market demand, if you want to prefer to sale the milk with high fat content or want to produce by product of milk then it is better to select Sahiwal breeds.
If you want to rear good kind of animals then there should be provision of good kind of animal shed, feeding facilities ,Watering facilities, Health provisions as well as owner should have knowledge about it (It means he should also undergo training on dairy farming). In many circumstances, to reduce expenditure on production cost of milk, dairy farmers must adopt recent techniques to decrease cost on feed and labours by enhancing quality of feed residues as well as mechanization and less labour consuming practices in successful dairy farming.
Many times owner of dairy farm could not pay attention on daily schedule of dairy farm and always dependent on subordinate or give authorities to labours and you will always find that this kind of dairy farmers are always in loss.
One of important factor in Successful dairy farming is market. If you sell milk to dairy collection unit then you will get less profit but if you sell it directly to customers with having quality (without adding water) then you will catch market within very few times. It is better to create market on your own than ordinary selling milk to dairy collection plant.
9. Value Addition
By making Milk by products or by making vermicompost or by strengthening value added practices of Calf rearing, care and management of each stage of animals you will be finally in profit (This also require training as well as exposure to different modern farms).
Dairy farmer should know condition of farm at any stage, and is only possible through records. For one litre of milk production how much was the expenditure should be known to owners. In records Pedigree, Reproduction, Calf, Health, Daily milk production, Feed and fodder registers etc are to be made. Now a days, our dairy farmers are lacking in this aspect. Records are helpful to assess loss related points so that afterwards he can able to correct it and avoid future losses.
11. Risks for Successful Dairy Farming
In each business, there are risks, it is to be known that this business is 24-hour service and need individual attention, then & then you will get profit. Natural calamities like floods, Earthquakes are not avoidable but health related factors like communicable diseases are to be avoided as it has preventive vaccinations. If dairy farmer is careless then he will suffer ultimately as his carelessness. So, for that appoint a veterinary consultant so that he can judge situation regularly as well as be in touch with that expert so that he can clarify the problematic points that you arise in front of him. Veterinarian should have at least B.V.Sc & A.H. or M.V.sc degree and should have experience in dairy farm management. It is better to insure animals per three years. If there is Boaring water then test it as if pH of water is high then it is not suitable for watering of animals as well as not suitable for fodder farm. Fodders and other feeds in balanced state will provide Protein, Energy and other constituents which are needed for milk production and daily activities of animals. Soil testing is also necessary because it may give exact status of soil as it gives clear ideas of fertilizer doses and also minimize the cost on fertilizers which is higher in traditional fertilizers application.
Regarding sanitation and health practice, you may approach to your local veterinary practitioner so that he will give your ideas about various practices followed in your locality. Calf mortality in cattle & buffaloes should not be more than 4%. In initial stage, if you maintain feed and fodder requirement of animals in balanced stage & according to demand, milk yield is not affected too much. As in new environment, animals are in stress so certain effects are seen on milk production at least for two months. So, for that consult the veterinarian for diet as well as stress reliving practices for animals. Labours who are engaged in Successful dairy farming should also be trained so that it will help to improve productivity of farm but even if they get trained, you fully don’t rely on them.
12. Other things to consider
Works with Professionals:
- Experts empower you with dairy standard operational procedures to support you up to the last production goals. Identify and build trust to get the best out of them.
- Herd fertility and calf rearing: Future of any dairy enterprise heavily relies on these; using the right breeding techniques and managing your calves well are steps forward in achieving these.
- Labour efficiency: Good rapport and mutual working relationship with the farm assistants.
- Waste management: Manure from dairy animals is not environmental friendly if left to accumulate or when not properly disposed. Develop a system to allow for easy removal of manure from the barns. Other useful options include construction of a biogas.
- Pedigree of the cows (importance of the breed & or health of cattle at time of purchase).
- Availability of sufficient green fodder/ drinking water (can the cattle be fed boring water if fresh drinking water not available?). what is the importance of quality of feed in the survival of the cattle & its new born?
- Soil/water analysis of the land where green fodder has to be grown.
- Sanitation & environment of the cattle sheds.
- Health of lactating cattle (vaccination & medicines).
- What is the importance of quality/knowledge/experience of labour involved in milking/cattle care in the success of the project?
- First of all, you have to visit some of the old dairy farms to know how the things will go on in the successful dairy farming business.
- You should attend some workshops which will help you to give the exact and precise knowledge about the successful dairy farming business.
- You should take a good advice from the experts. They can either be the old dairy farmers or Animal husbandry department or from the KVKs.
- You should select high yielding Cows for your Dairy Farming Business.
- Try to know all the management practices in the Dairy Farming Business.
- Have a better understanding of the Daily Operations of Cow Dairy Farming Business.
- Get to know all the diseases that will attack the Cows. You should also know the management practices of those diseases. Apart from these, you should have a veterinarian available all the time.
- You should place your cow dairy farm business, near to the market.
- Your Cow Dairy Farm should have better transportation facilities.
- Make sure that you provide good fodder and water facilities to the Cows.
13. Tips For Successful Dairy Farming
Request an experienced dairy farmer to help you select your disinfectants, germicides, fungicides and insecticides wisely, such that your animals face no harm from their usage, insects, plant growth or microbes. You may go in for iodine/iodophores, sodium carbonate, quick lime, slaked lime, bleaching powder, phenol, etc. Food must comprise of dry fodder (paddy straw, wheat hay, etc.), green fodder (protein-rich leguminous Rabi crops) for good milk yield, and mineral mixture for supplementation.